Sep 7, 2009

Euro Trip - Part 1 Beginning


Well it all started with my "CV", the most critical one page of anyone's life, and the so called Cover Letter. Not a while ago these terms would have meant either a movie or some cool slang and the cover page of your love life(:))but now these are the integral part of me. I prepared my CV and cover letter and as the "procedure" goes I started mailing all the professors and research assistants all across Europe and on most of the days I got the same old reply like-"Mr. Ankur(it feels good when somebody calls you that, but in mails I figured from this line that OK something bad news is following) we don't have enough means to call you, although your CV seems pretty impressive"(all the credit goes to my brother rather than my results and other stuff:P) or may be they once in a while ask me-Do you have financial assistance?(whose obvious answer was no..!) but after like many many many mails I got positive reply and I was like on cloud nine!!
Well after all the formal mails and phone calls to the professors and the follow ups I went to apply for visa for Austria. The date for which was decided after messing up with college gundas("dudes" as they call themselves..:)),long story though, and asking a thousand times to all the people from teachers to classmates about the exams dates, canceling tickets to Delhi a few times I managed to decide the dates, which by the way didn't turned out to be quite correct...:(
I sat in the general coach(believe me no one ever wants to travel in that..I know I will not ever in my life) of the mandore express,which as the name suggests should be a express but it has something against me that it was not willing to go that fast that day and was 9hrs late, which made me the last person to apply for visa in VFS Center(the name that I will not forget)....tired and exhausted after applying I got out of that building and saw McDonalds and sat there for a long long time just sipping my coke as I had to travel again in that shithole general coach.
Now the time has started when I had to wait for the visa and trust me that seemed pretty long than I ever expected. Again follow ups with VFS and Embassy of Austria..mails and faxes and phone calls...I ended up making a loss of 6000/- as a penalty for date change of Air ticket. Tired of waiting and making lab records for the upcoming examination I went to college to chill out and do some formalities while returning I met a accident, my first on my pulsar, got my knee injured and some bruises on leg spared me of much bigger pain than it could be.
Finally I got my visa 'just like that' and that day will be written in my obituary..trust me it is hard to pack for two month stay in Austria n just 5 hrs with all the tickets and formalities also, again the credit goes to my brother, mother and father also...I once again prepared myself to travel from mandore express(I don't know why do they call it a express..:))as this time it was late from here only by 4hrs. I went punjab hotel and tried to get heeled by taking a long long sleep...and by long I mean pretty long:). Thanx to Luftansa for departing the flight in the early morning I got to see what it looks like morning 4a.m. worried about my extra luggage, but I was lucky to get cleared.
Paper planes of my dreams finally were coming to fly and take me to Austria, one of the most beautiful part of Europe.

No comments: