Sep 7, 2009

Euro Trip - Part 1 Checking in


Lufthansa as it promises gives us a pleasant flight..I enjoyed the movies a lot...finally arrived in the afternoon in Graz, second largest city of Austria, three times been awarded 'The Cultural City' and has the most intake of students round the year. To be true I didn't have any idea what it would be like to be in Europe or should I say a country with so much different environment than India, will come to that latter. I was in that awe spirit from the time I took off from India and it continued for a while. I asked a lady smoking in the Smoking Area that from where I can get the Shuttle Bus to go to Jakominiplatz('J' is pronounced as y..well of course I didn't know that:))she pointed out to me to wait under the symbol H..and all this conversation was loosely a sign language communication, but I still didn't get her and went to taxi stand and asked a guy, he knew English and told me that it will cost me 15euros it I take the taxi so keeping in mind the financial restraints I waited for 45 mins in cold weather tired from a long long flight and finally the bus arrived at its scheduled time and at that point of time I noted that trains, buses, trams any damn thing in Europe is never late in departure or in arrival. Well I spent my expenses in euros as a bus ticket 1.8euros. I now was on a journey to see the most beautiful houses and colonies..I was literally dumbfounded by seeing such a beautiful locality..the bus driver dropped me somewhat at a distance from my destination..he didn't know that I am new to this place..I saw many railway lines at a distance and figured that it should be Jakominiplatz..well I was lucky..it was. I now had to take a tram no. 5, this time I took the wrong one and at the next station I asked a guy that I want to go to Haffenerigel 53 and then I got to know I am in wrong tram. I get sown and got the correct one, and after wandering for another an hour I finally reached the dormitory. As instructed to me by Anne Marrie I collected my keys from Berat Gashi(it was then very difficult to remember those names:P) and I entered my room.
Now the moment came which i will never forget, I was wandering how to get drinking water and I heard a beautiful voice saying 'hi' I turned around to see one of the hottest girl in brown top and mini skirt. I saw her for a few minutes, well more than anybody should look on their first meet. I finally managed to come to reality and asked her where I can get drinking water(stupid question though..made my first impression more worse..:() now I got myself on my feet by eating 'khakhras' and set out with my camera(I don't know why I took it..)to look for the way to university. I had to be on my toes to remember the way back to dorm, I noted the wrong way..another blunder:) next morning well prepared to start my new journey of a different professional life..I reached places which I shouldn't and after walking for an hour for a distance of 5 mins I finally reached my department IGTE. I was welcomed in a very good manner by the professor and was introduced to his whole team. I was somehow confident and managed to communicate well. I was then instructed by my mentor Andrej Stermeki. I got lost both the times for going to lunch and coming back to university and was much tired at the end of the day. Gergey, the genius a phd. student helped me buy stuff from spar, German for super market, finally I reached my dorm and got a long awited sleep of 12 hours, but still couldn't feel relaxed. All these tiredness and all the things happening so fast took out my excitement to come this far to such a prestigious place.

No comments: